Monday, June 1, 2009

Her birthday was June 1st.


Her name was Shuishui. It means "water-water". Her birthday was on June 1, as all the kids in the orphanage.
I started an orphanage ministry with another sister in our local church. I remember the cold winter Saturday afternoon we first went into the orphanage. We were allowed to visit one part which was for abnormal kids. A little girl came up to me and took my hand. She was Binbin. She had such shinning smile and bright face, that no one could tell she was from orphanage. People said she looked like me. I finally fostered her. When I went to work, I put her in a kindergarten. When I came back, I took her from the kindergarten and we ate supper together. I cooked for her and she would always praise what yummy food! I taught her several Chinese characters each night and gave her a lot of applaud. She learned fast. We together watched cartoons or children’s programs. She had brain paralysis and for this reason she couldn’t be adopted. Deep in my heart I thought this girl deserved better life. I put my hand on her head and prayed for God’s healing before she went to bed. We lived together for 3 months. God healed her. She soon left me and was adopted by a Spanish family.
Shuishui was the opposite. She seldom smiled. Her face was full of fear. Her eyes seldom were without tears. She cried when she ought to have walked by herself but couldn’t. She cried when she suddenly heard a loud voice. And once she began to cry, it seemed she could never stop. “See, she cries again! Just like her name, a lot of water.”
One day Binbin told me,
“Shuishui died.”
“Was she sick, you mean?” I didn’t think she, three years old, had right concept of death. That night, as Binbin watched Animal World, she suddenly said,
“Baby elephant died.”
“What?!”
I was immediately aware that Binbin knew what death was. So Shuishui truly died!
“How did Shuishui die?”
“Mrs. Lei beat her, using her shoe.”
“Did you see it?”
“No. Wenyan told me.” Wenyan was a 12-year-old girl in the orphanage.
Binbin’s answer finished my ministry in that orphanage. I also soon moved to another city.
Today is the first of June, I think of Shuishui:
When she was born, she ought to have felt the warmth of her parents’ arms, but the coldness of the ground---she was found abandoned.
She had a big head, abnormal. She should have received more love than a normal baby because she needed more care.
More than ten kids shared one “mommy” in her “sweet home”. Her life was put to “mummy”----Mrs. Lei. She died under her shoe.
She should have some happy days if she had stronger character. But this world was full of difficulties for her. Her tears didn’t bring enough comfort.
The next morning she died, she was wrapped in matting by a stranger. Blood stain could be seen on the matting.
When she was buried, no friend of her was at the side. She had no grave, buried to an unknown place. No one would go anywhere to memorize her.
She was beaten to death. But who, would cry for her and who, would bring the killer to the court?
I can only make a grave for Shuishui in my heart. Every year I will come here, Shuishui! To memorize you. I hope you have already flied to the purest and joyful place! And the tears you shed would become a pair of glittering and translucent wings for you, bringing you to wherever you desire to go. I hope you have many family members there who live with you and love you a lot. I didn’t do much for you, I am sorry. I noticed your tearing eyes, but I just liked everyone else, walked away from you. I didn’t get you out as I did for Binbin. I didn’t think too much. I was stupid I didn’t know you could leave me so quick! Shuishui, but if you could, please forgive me, forgive this cruel world. You are in my heart forever…

No comments: