Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Grandma


“I am already seventy, Mom.”My mother-in-law has to remind her mother often, who is ninety five this year. They live together. “Don’t blame me as I am still a child.”
I know about my grandmother-in-law most from my husband. He often addresses her as an open-minded woman, for she dared to leave her village when she was a young lady, two boys’ mother. That village was deep in a mountain. To purchase daily things like salt would cost a whole day back and forth from the town. One day she was laboring in the field, her younger son was put aside in a basket, a tiger went out from the woods and targeted at her baby. Soon the tiger quietly stole the baby away, and she only saw the back of the tiger and the disappearance of her baby. She was not mad; instead, she decided to leave the village for the town. It is hard to believe, at that time, peasants were not permitted to leave their land. They were locked to their land, moving away was illegal. She fled away at a midnight with her husband and her son. Because they were in such a hurry, the journey was long, and the mountain road was difficult, her son, the remained one also died within 11 days after they arrived at the town.
My mother-in-law was her only child. She was born in the town. My husband has 2 brothers and 3 sisters. My grandmother-in-law helped my mother-in-law bring them up. In her eyes, girls are just girls, but boys are the blood of the family. She loved her youngest grandson most. But he died in twenties in a car accident. Then my husband became her beloved.
“My deadly weakness is” once my husband was in the army, “if enemy took my grandma and try to harm her, I will surrender in a second.” He told me secretly.
“I have to come back; grandma caught a cold.” My husband often said this and once he blew the gaff, “She didn’t catch a cold, she just miss me.” Grandma was lovesickness, only to my husband. “On half of my way back her cold will disappear without a trace. When she sees me, her face is like a shinning sun! ”
“What will you do then being with grandma?”
“I just take her hands and chat with her. Sometimes if it is sunny I put her in the wheelchair to go out for a walk. I bring her to the places she likes and the places most noisy. I buy her favorite snack for her. She is always surprised how I can remember what she likes. We are scenery on the street, really. ”My husband always recalls his time with grandma full of happiness and pride.
One day my husband came back from Grandma and not happy. I asked him what happened. “Grandma showed me her treasure today.” Grandma collected some treasure like her old jewelries and the money her grandsons and granddaughters gave her. “After I die, you may take these.” She said to my husband.
She died in this February, the nature called upon her. She left a good husband to me, a man full of love and mercy.
Grandma, thank you.

4 comments:

ASP said...

I enjoy your post :) great nice 4utra

Gloria-China said...

Thank you for your encouragement

Chinaman said...

Beautiful story about Grandma -in law. Sorry to hear that she passed away though.
Please tell you husband and mother in law I am sorry They must be missing her.

Gloria-China said...

Thank you, Jack. I will go to attend her funeral tomorrow.